Competency #1: The Immune System and Vaccines
This competency explains how vaccines work using basic knowledge of immune system.
The health professional will be able to perform the following:
- Compare and contrast innate and adaptive immunity
- Differentiate between the primary and memory immune response to a vaccine.
- Differentiate between passive and active immunity.
- Explain why some vaccines induce a memory response while others do not.
- Name some host- and vaccine-related factors that affect the immune response to vaccines.
- Explain how the immunization schedule accommodates factors that affect the immune response to vaccines.
- Respond to the concern that giving too many vaccines will overload the immune system.
- Discuss the pros and cons of immunity gained through immunization as opposed to wild-type infection.