Competency #11: Populations Requiring Special Considerations
This competency recognizes and responds to the unique immunization needs of certain population groups.
The health professional will be able to perform the following:
- Describe the unique immunization needs of certain populations, as relevant to the practice setting, including
- individuals who are off course of a recommended immunization schedule;
- individuals who have had a serious adverse event following a prior immunization;
- individuals with certain medical conditions, including transplant recipients;
- pregnant women;
- women who are breastfeeding;
- occupational risk groups;
- new Canadians;
- international students;
- individuals with behaviours that put them at risk for vaccine-preventable diseases;
- "hard-to-reach" individuals; and
- outbreak populations.
- Appropriately refer to expert professionals/resources when required to address the immunization needs of certain populations.
Other Resources for Learning
- Recommended Immunization – Canadian Immunization Guide (pages 99-146)