Competency #12: The Canadian Immunization System
This competency demonstrates an understanding of the immunization system in Canada and its impact on his/her own practice.
The health professional will be able to perform the following:
- Describe how the National Immunization Strategy (NIS) is relevant to practice.
- Distinguish between federal and provincial/territorial responsibilities as related to immunization programs in Canada.
- List who can administer immunizations in Canada.
- Describe the current status of immunization registries in the province or territory where practice is based.
- Describe the process required to introduce a new publicly funded vaccine in a province or territory.
- Explain the reasons for the variable immunization schedules among the provinces and territories.
- Locate the current immunization schedule for the province or territory of practice.
- Identify laws and regulations that may affect immunization delivery programs in provinces and territories.
Canadian Immunization Guide evergreen version http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p01-01-eng.php