Exciting opportunities exist for nurses in critical care, emergency and perioperative nursing. Specialty orientations are a component for these types of nursing. Depending on the specialty and program, you may either be able to earn as you learn or be hired in that specialty after finishing the orientation.
Critical Care Nursing
If working with the latest technology to treat critically ill patients in medical and surgical intensive care units sounds intriguing, you may want to consider Critical Care Nursing.
Critical Care Nursing Orientation Program
If you remain calm while under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment and like to be challenged, emergency nursing may be the right fit for you.
Click here for more information
Perioperative Nursing Orientation
Starting in the fall of 2014, the WRHA Surgery Program embarked upon improving the quality of the Operating Room education and began offering the AORN Periop 101 Didactic course to all new perioperative nurses. This program is an on-line, evidence-based, accredited course for nurses who are new operating room and provides the basic core principles of practice.
The introduction of this course creates several benefits including:
- Offering a standardized, accredited course targeted towards the adult learner
- Continuously updated evidence-based content by AORN's team of Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Ongoing monitoring of module completion to identify student's progress, successes and opportunities for improvement
- Comparable OR qualifications expected throughout other jurisdictions in Canada
- Convenience of being able to enroll new hires immediately into the course.